The weather in Chennai is hot and humid all year round as it lies close to the equator and is also a coastal city. The best time to visit Chennai is between the winter months of November and February.
- Winters (December to February) are the coolest months with an average temperature of 18 °C. Cyclones in the Bay of Bengal hit Chennai occasionally during November and December. It is the most suitable time for Chennai tourism.
- Summers (March to May) are hot and sweltering, where the temperature soars to more than 40 °C. It is not advisable to visit Chennai during the summer months.
- Monsoons (June to August) and post Monsoons (September to November) bring wet weather with mild to heavy winds and rains. The main roads become congested and the lanes become muddy and water clogged.
Events & Festivals in Chennai
It is worth scheduling a visit to Chennai during one of their fairs or festivals that are held on a grand scale as the city is the most colourful and liveliest at this time. Be prepared for throngs of tourists, both local and foreigners, during this time.
- January is the best month of festivals with the Pongal celebrations.
- February- March is credited with the celebrations of Shivarathri.
- October is auspicious with grandeur celebrations of Diwali.
- November to January is thriving with the Ayyappa season.